Tuesday, December 9, 2014

"Grand Illusion" mystery quilt & December's Sewing Circle


Today I crossed two milestones.  I finished my second clue to the "Grand Illusion" mystery quilt, and also put the very first of my Christmas decorations up.

 Here is last weeks stack of 100 blocks along with this weeks stack of 100 blocks.

A few pictures of the process I used.


After cutting my squares and rectangles I marked my sewing lines.


I loved this method because it yielded me with a bonus stack of 400 little two inch (half square triangles).

Bonnie says we can use them later in our border if we want.

To see what others are doing in this mystery you can click on the link below.  I think it's fun to see different color combinations that others are using.

Last week was our December sewing circle.   We always have a show and tell period and I was able to take last years mystery quilt and show it. 
   
"Celtic Solstice"


This month we did a big push to knot a lot of comfort tops.  I think 4 were completed that day.




Darlene brings her niece each month.  I love seeing the younger ones catching the sewing bug.  It also helps  them see and feel apart of giving to others in need.   Most of our comfort tops are donated to MCC Mennonite Central Committee, who distributes them to countries in need, around the world.


We also had a small wall hanging in for the quilters.

~Show and Tell~

I was so happy that Violet shared this quilt with us.  She remembers seeing it on her grandparents bed when she was younger.


Many of the women there could find blocks that one of their relatives had made 50-60 years ago.

This block caught my eye because it was made by my  husbands mother.   How special!

I also took my dinosaur quilt that I made this year for my grandson James.  I shared it here on my blog but had never taken it to sewing circle to show.
The front of the quilt was made by a sheet I picked up at a thrift store, then I pieced the names of the dinosaurs for the border.


Then on the back I put James favorite one.   The Styracosaurus!


6 comments:

Quilting By Celia said...

I am not a religious person but I loved seeing the good work you do... the pictures of the ladies quilting remind me of days gone by...

Donna said...

Polly, I love seeing the progress you are making on the Grand Illusion quilt!! Your colors are beautiful! And, as always, I enjoy your sewing circle from your pictures!

Vireya said...

Wow! How wonderful to find blocks made by family members in such a lovely old quilt.

Your Celtic Solstice is absolutely beautiful, and this year's blocks are looking good too.

Vernon and Kim said...

You are doing a great job on the MQ. I love your colors so far.

Sabine´s Harz Quilt said...

Dear Polly, I was so in love with all your grandchild quilts, that I ordered the book "wordplay", too. I am a grandmom since September and I am looking forward to make her a special "Hanna" Quilt :-). Greetings from a snowy germany, Sabine

Feathers in my Nest said...

Pretty!.......Love all the Quilts too..I have that book as well.